Stone Walls: Paint Everything

As bought
I can't recall where I first read the advice underpinning the title of this posting but it has stuck with me. I have undergone a bit of a clean-up in relation to completing long standing, half-finished jobs I've had lying about the work table in a hiatus from my major project: Project Lewes. One of these jobs was a purchase over a year ago of a set of rounded stone walls by Pegasus.


I was instantly attracted to these walls when I saw them in my local hobby store and I recall them being very reasonably priced - about AUD24.00 for a set of six double thickness plastic moulded walls measuring 15 cm long X  2.4 cm high. Whilst they could be used for any scale depending upon what you are representing, I think they're most comfortable within the 25-28mm figure scale.


The unpainted images shown here actually do the colour more justice than they deserve, in the flesh being a mid to dark almost blue-grey colour with slight highlighting. In short, they could be used straight out of the box if you believe  that all tree trunks are brown, leaves are green and water is blue. I'm clearly not happy with plain grey rocks. Not that I wasn't tempted to ignore the situation - terrain is rarely anyone's strength but I am firmly in the school of thought which dictates that if you have well painted and built armies, they should be used on equivalent terrain. So, paint them I did.


In short, they were washed, dried and undercoated with a Humbrol 72 Khaki Drill. One dried I  smeared them randomly Humbrol 94 Brown Yellow with a rough brush. Once dried I flecked them with a washed Humbrol 121 Pale Stone (passing a No. 10 brush over a toothpick) and later inked the recesses with a black wash. Finally I dry brushed with white using a soft No. 16 brush and matt spray coated it in artists lacquer.
Finished paint job
Hopefully the paint job has given colour variation to the stone work and reflects better the natural state of the stone - which should represent the colour of the earth it is taken from. Anyway, I'm happier with the results than if I'd stuck with the original model and happier still that I've gotten around to making another minor purchase table-ready.
And again


Comments

Popular Posts